Hello Mommies/ Daddies,
I am a mom of 18 months old boy, I still remember the first time I gave a bath to my baby. I was so scared of pouring water on his tiny body. He was approximately 1-month old that time. Yes! My mom was there to take care of him from the day he came in my arms. She was the one who was doing everything for him and giving bath was also included in that. Everything was going smoothly until one day she said that now she has to go back to home. I was like really, how can you leave ( Mom & son) alone 😉 , won’t lie I was scared of handling him alone. She said that one day I have to take his responsibility & she started my training (she was closely observing me) before going home.
Her training really helped a lot & we never faced any bad experience during bath time. My boy loves bath time, now if I ever think to skip his bath he doesn’t allow me to do so 🙂 Today I thought to post about giving a sponge bath to a baby. I objective of sharing is to help those new moms who must be scared of giving bath to little munchkin like I was few months back
1. If its winter please close all the windows & door and also maintain the temperature of the room.
2. Undress your baby, & wrap him or her in a hand towel. To make sponge bath interesting keep talking to your baby.
3. Now gently hold your baby’s head & cleanse his forehead, cheeks, chin & around the eyes with the cotton or soft towel dampened in lukewarm water.Please check water temperature as baby’s skin is super sensitive. I usually avoid cotton as it sometimes sheds lint on the skin.
4. Similar steps should be followed behind the ears & neck.
5. After that with the help of a clean towel, gently pat dry his/her face & neck.
6. I usually avoid washing hair if giving a sponge bath. If you want to wash baby’s hair than put your arm under his/her back and your hand behind his/her head. With your free hand wet your baby’s hair with the hand towel. now apply a small amount of shampoo & gently massage on his or her scalp. Always use a tear-free formula for your baby to avoid any irritation if by mistake shampoo enters in baby’s eye(s).
7. Rinse off baby’s hair with water properly & dry his/her hair with the help of a bath towel. It is highly requested not to wash baby’s hair in the night.
8. In a bowl with lukewarm and few drops of body wash. Now unwrap baby’s towel and with the help of wet and lather washcloth begin to wash the rest of your baby’s body. After that take a wet towel (use lukewarm water only) and clean baby’s skin. Finally, pat dry with a soft bath towel.
9. Remember to wash all the creases well.
10. Now moisturize his or her skin with a nice moisturizer & dress him/her.