Hi Mommies & Daddies!!!
You may have different reasons for giving formula to your baby. I will not discuss that in this post because my focus is on discussing things you (parents) should keep in mind before giving formula milk to baby. A common question asked by many parents that “Which is best formula for my baby”. As usual my answer is “Your baby’s doctor knows best”. Before starting formula it is must to consult a doctor to find best formula for you baby 🙂
- Always wash or sanitize your hands before preparing formula for baby.
- While feeding you should hold the baby’s head at a slightly elevated angle and keep the bottle held up so he/she doesn’t suck in a lot of air.
- Don’t keep formula more than 15 to 20 minutes. If your baby has left his/her formula then it is better to discard rather than re-using.
- Make sure that the nipple hole is of right size. It should be neither too large nor too small. If it is too large, your baby will gag and look alarmed at the fast milk flow. If the hole is too small or the nipple too hard for him, you baby will struggle a lot for sucking.
- Never heat formula in the microwave. Microwaves heat the formula unevenly, and hotspots can burn your baby. Place the bottle in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes to bring it up to room temperature.
- In every 30 ml of water take 1 scoop of formula. Say 1 scoop for 30 ml, 2 scoops for 60 ml and so on.
- Do not use fewer scoops than directed, since diluted feeding may not provide adequate nutrients needed by your infant. Do ensure that enclosed scoop is thoroughly washed and dried before use.
- Do consult you baby’s doctor before starting formula. He/she will help you in getting best formula as per your baby’s requirement.